Tuesday, September 28, 2010

Penance: September 27, 2010, "Picture This" Month - After

Prompt:

Source: http://www.marcilall.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/05/choco-milk-chocolate-milk-1297950-1026-1024.jpg

Response: After

My eyes were still blurry though I had been up for hours. I was vaguely aware that I probably smelled horrendous. I pulled my robe a little closer and figure it didn't matter because it wasn't like I was going anywhere and no one was coming to see me.

The fridge light was blinding in the dark kitchen. I squinted into the glare just long enough to find the chocolate milk and shut the offensive light back where it belonged.

I pulled out the last clean glass. It was a tall one with a thick base - a pretty glass that I used to set with china when I used it. I poured the glass full. I drank a little off the top and filled it up again; licking away the phantom mustache I could feel on my upper lip.

I went for a straw - a blue bend-y one - and ended up with two.

I stuck the straws in the glass and stared at them for a moment. They drifted apart in the milk, gravitating to different edges of the glass. That was when I started crying.

I sat on my kitchen title and let my two-strawed chocolate milk get warm while I bawled.

No comments:

Post a Comment