Saturday, July 31, 2010

Dark Glasses

Prompt: When I'm in a neon green mood . . .

Source: writingfiction.suite101.com

Response: Dark Glasses

"When I'm in a neon green mood I . . . I like to watch people." The teenager rubbed his elbows. He glanced up at his therapist, gauging her reaction. She was unreadable. "I put on dark glasses and my neon green socks and jacket and I go watch people."

"Why?"

He shrugged. "I just like to watch them."

"What do you watch them do?" She was maybe nervous - she was biting her lip on the inside, he noticed. She caught his eyes and he flicked his gaze away.

"Everything." He shrugged again, uncomfortable with the question. "Sometimes I go to the park, sometimes the cafe."

"What do you watch about them?"

He glanced up. She was looking intent. She was biting her lip again. Her eyelashes were touching her eyelid, her eyes were open so wide.

He chewed the edge of his nail. "Their eyes and their hands. Sometimes I watch them eat. Sometimes I watch . . ."

"Watch what?"

He rocked back in his seat, looking at the back wall. He could picture how the couple he had been watching right before his session had looked - every detail, every color and every movement. He watched them again in his mind. His mouth moved but he didn't bother to wonder what he was saying.

"When I'm in a neon green mood I like to watch people. When I'm in a neon green mood I like to watch people. When I'm in a neon green mood I like to watch people."

The therapist closed her notebook and paged the nurse. He was gone, he wouldn't say anything else for maybe a few days, maybe a few weeks.

Notes: I'm leaving day after tomorrow for a week, but you can expect August's weather forecast on the blog before tomorrow's prompt.

No comments:

Post a Comment