Monday, August 30, 2010

Another Brick in the Wall

Prompt: Write a character you know nothing about. If you grew up in the big city, write as a farm hand. If you grew up on a farm or small town all your life, write about an army brat who was raised living in dozens of towns, going to different schools each year. Are you a stay-at-home, married mom? Write as a single woman making it big in the big apple. If you’re a successful businessman, write as a prison inmate who grew up on the wrong side of the tracks.

Source:writingforward.com

Response: Another Brick in the Wall

I ran my fingers through my curls. They bounced back with a perfectly hair-sprayed charm, falling into my smoky eyes. I looked at myself with brief approval before I allowed my personal criticism to return. My jeans made me look fat, though I was only a size two, and my makeup, though tasteful, made me look skanky. I pursed my lips at my reflection with a seductive smirk. I was so ugly, I told myself, even though I knew it wasn't true.

And I told everyone else so during the day and ignored their responses. I thought about my magazine submission that was supposed to come that day and fluttered my eyelids out of answering questions in my math class.

I pretended to be above my friends and teachers, but in all honesty I didn't care enough to bother to even ignore them. I just wanted to get home and take some pictures for my facebook with my new shade of lipstick on.

No comments:

Post a Comment