Sunday, August 22, 2010

Déjà Vu Week: Angst and Ego

Prompt: Write a poem from the perspective of a character you have already written.

Source: None

Response: Angst and Ego

I hurt me.

Just to please you.

You hurt me.

To please your ego.

It was the same.

Each time I hurt.

Somehow your aim.

Hurt me worse.

Notes: So I forgot to put the "Déjà Vu Week:" in front of the title for yesterday's submission, but as you may see, I have remedied that. So the theory behind Déjà Vu Week is that you get a chance to dig up dusty characters, settings and random tidbits (which I have in great abundance, I don't know about you). So, yeah, take something familiar and tweak it or take something old and refurbish/recreate/expand.

I'm really excited for this week's prompts, but I gotta say that this prompt is ridiculous because I try not to write my characters as glaring extensions of myself and so, because I'm a sometimes-poet, I don't have a lot of characters inclined toward the poetic. In the end I went with a nameless compilation character (found here: . . . mostly because she is pretty emo and boy crazy and what more could you possibly ask for in a poetic character? And you can tell I tried to get out of my comfort zone because . . . this poem actually has a rhyming pattern . . . sort of.

No comments:

Post a Comment