Wednesday, August 4, 2010

Bombing

Prompt: Write a scene or short story starting with this sentence: Heavy white snowflakes dropped to the ground like silent bombs trying to destroy my plans.

Source: pymprompts.blogspot.com

Response: Bombing

Heavy white snowflakes dropped to the ground like silent bombs trying to destroy my plans. I had made a promise at the end of summer to be free in time to watch the first snowfall unfettered; I had promised Nicolas.

I pulled the heavy peach cotton blanket closer around my shoulders as I watched the snow. I had planned so carefully. I was going to be free of the taint of shame - free from Nathan - by the first snow. I had said I would be free.

I looked to the mantle. Nathan's picture was still there, hidden under the cloth runner, though. It was right under our engagement picture - mine and Nicolas' - in its handsome frame. I was still chained to my husband's dead twin brother, despite my promise. He had been gone since our Junior year in high school, but I still could not throw away the picture of him in his crisp naval uniform.

I curled up in my peach blanket, unable to watch the bombing of my carefully-laid plans.

No comments:

Post a Comment