Saturday, May 8, 2010

The Night I Drowned

Prompt: "It was a dark and stormy night . . ."

Source: None

Response: It was a dark and stormy night when I drowned. I left Aaron's beach house while the moon was high over the crystalline waves, partially obscured by clouds. The sand looked navy blue - close to ebony - with tiny flecks of white reflecting stone shining in the lunar light.

I walked through the cold sand with my skin prickling around my bathing suit. I listened carefully to the ever so slight sound of stony sand crunching beneath my bare feet, to the distant roll of thunder beyond the moon and to the crashing of water against the shore. A light breeze made my hair brush against my neck, making my skin creep as though rain were already leaving tentative, tingling kisses on me.

I did not plan to drown, but I walked into the waves wondering on a semi-conscious level if I would ever come out. When it started to rain, the water was already to my waist, sending chills through me. I looked back to the house and that is when I felt something brush by me, pull me into deeper water.

It was a dark and stormy night when I drowned.

No comments:

Post a Comment